Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Leisure Bucks

Over the past several years I have used "Leisure Bucks" with my high schoolers.  Students are rewarded for all types of positive behaviors, and are able to receive benefits for their "Bucks".








How does Jim (a student) receive "Leisure Bucks"?
  • Jim can receive "Leisure Bucks" for any positive behavior I see fit or desire to continue.  Some of the positive behaviors that I pass out "Leisure Bucks" for: asking a great question, giving a thoughtful answer or correct answer, "ARKS"-Acts of Random Kindness, helping the teacher, volunteering to go to the board, making a 100 on a quiz/test, and many others!  BUT these are always at my discretion!
  • Sometimes I've had a special needs student (Jay) that I'm trying to teach a good behavior.  Maybe Jay is a very shy, quiet student. And the desired behavior is for Jay to Ask or Answer a questions in class.  In the beginning I'd give Jay a "Leisure Buck" any time he did anything that is remotely similar attempting to speak.  Slowly I'd begin to decrease the number of  "Leisure Bucks" given until the behavior becomes easy and comfortable for Jay.  Occasionally I would still reward him a "Leisure Buck" to remind him he's doing great!
  • Fire Drill or other drills when we have to stay as a group.  If student makes it to the designated location, they get a Leisure Buck.  It is amazing how they all seem to stay close when a Leisure Buck is offered!


What can Jim (a student) do with all his "Leisure Buck"?

I have several incentives that Jim can choose from:
  • Pass to Bathroom or Locker..........(5 Leisure Bucks)
    • No Charge for a pass to the Nurse or Guidance.  I have had a student who went to the nurse excessively. In agreement with the Parent, I did put a price of 5 Leisure Bucks for only her.  She did begin to go less to the nurse! But I would never do this without knowledge of the parent.
  • New Pencil..........(2 Leisure Bucks)
  • 2 sheets of Lined Paper..........(1 Leisure Bucks)
  • HomeWork Pass..........(10 Leisure Bucks) 
    • These can only be used once a week!
  • Answer Check..........(10 Leisure Bucks)
    • During a Test/Quiz.  Jim Brings his 10 Leisure Bucks up and asks if he has #10 correct!  I say "YES" or "NO"! But NO OTHER information about the problem is given.  I have no limit on these.  On a multiple choice question, a student asked me if A was correct, then B, and then C until he found the correct answer.
  • Candy..........(10 Leisure Bucks)
    • Snack Size like given out on Halloween
    • They whine and complain about the high price (10) for candy, versus the low price (5 for pens, and I tell them to shop somewhere else. http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/mtc/Portfolios/sabatier/management.html
  • Complementary Phone Call Home..........(3 Leisure Bucks)
    • I Love this one and the Kids Like this one
    • On a day that Jim has had a great day, he gives me his parent's phone number and name and suggested time to call.  I get to let the parent know how great their child is doing in my class. Of course Jim might be using this to get out of trouble at home.
    • This allows me to make good phone calls instead of only contacting parents when children are being bad in class or having grade problems.
  • Sit in Mrs. Leisure's Chair for a Day..........(10 Leisure Bucks)
  • Tissues - 2 pulls..........(2 Leisure Bucks)
  • Sit with a Friend..........(5 Leisure Bucks)
    • If an issue arrises and Jim needs to return to his normal seat, there are NO REFUNDS!
  • Use Headphones/Ipod in class..........(20 Leisure Bucks)
  • Dinner with Mrs. Leisure..........(40 Leisure Bucks)
    • Only at the end of the year!
    • If Jim still has 40 Leisure Bucks at the end of the year, then I will take him to dinner. I bring one of my teens, to keep it from being awkward.
    • If there are several students then I have had a pizza party in my classroom after school!  I decorate and have music and we have a blast!
Where do I get my Leisure Bucks? and why call them Leisure Bucks?

  • I order them from VistaPrint
    • I have order a lot of other things from VistaPrint.  I'll do another Post on them later.
  • You can name them anything you choose!
    • Math Cash, Hawk Bucks (My school is the Hawks)... Leisure is my last name, so it worked well for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment